Pam is Map spelled backwards

Until I was an age much too old to admit, this was how I pictured the geography of our world:

You start in South Carolina, go east until you hit Bermuda, continue east and next you hit Europe.  Europe is big and exotic, so you go through Europe, Europe, Europe, Europe 'til BAM - you hit Hawaii. Then California, then farmland, farmland, farmland, Tennesee, Opryland, BAM again, you're back in South Carolina.

Y'all.  I know.
I own a map now.
I realize now I missed quite a few continents. 
On the other hand, you see why I was so impressed when people said they'd backpacked through Europe.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I had this small worldview.  I went to school and what not.  I even owned a globe.  My parents gave me that globe.  Yes, it had the U.S.S.R. on it, but it still had all that other stuff.

Whatever the reason, when I became a parent, I decided I wanted my kids to be different.
Or at least not to give Europe so much credit.
So I put several maps around the house.  I just want them to know how many other people and places are out there, you know?  I want them to think bigger, live larger, learn more than me.  I want them to realize how vast the human race is; how different yet how similar and connected.  

I want them to -- what's that?  Travel, you say?
Oh hell, no.  Too dangerous.
Everyone get back on the couch.