An unedited note on editing and storytelling

 Before I sound obnoxious, I'd like to clarify that I am my own audience for this.    I am the choir and the preacher.  

I love a good story.  I respect a great storyteller.  But in the past, I've never appreciated good editing as I should.  I know friends who complain they edit their own work until they paralyze themselves into never sharing it.  Conversely, I'm more of the "think it, write it, t-shirt cannon it into the world mistakes and all" type.  We've often said if we each had a bit of the other's style in us, we'd all be better off.  Lately, though, I've come to appreciate good editing in storytelling.

When I think of writing, oral storytelling (oratory sound less creepy?), standup comedy, film, painting, photography, sculpture, any art really, editing matters more than I thought.  Yes, I know that sounds obvious, but in my defense, good editors are so sneaky-good that you don't see their work.

I respect a well-told story.  The story can teach a lesson or just entertain, because even in entertainment, there is the beautiful connection of human to human. 

I like the storyteller to respect the listeners' time.  I want them to be themselves, but if addressing a larger audience, to realize their message is more easily received if they take an extra bit of care.

If just interacting socially, I love off-the-cuff unfiltered stories.  The unprepared part is the most fun.  I'd rather hear a friend tell me a movie or book plot than see or read it myself.  If you don't believe me, ask the people I pester with requests constantly.  

But if a person is trying to reach a larger group, they should take time.  We can't just dump and spread our wares on the metaphorical table.  Well, we can, but let's not feel resentful if people stroll past.  I'm not saying the dumping and spreading isn't necessary or without value.  My t-shirt cannon method keeps me from going crazy most days.  This is being t-shirt cannoned even; so stroll on past.  I'll do what I gotta do.  

I'm just saying that there is no shame in working hard to make something accessible.  It's not condescending or overt.  It doesn't mean you aren't creative or edgy.  It's just a little effort to make the exchange more two-sided.  I like to think of it as the storyteller saying, "Hey - I bet we can connect, so I worked a little harder to make it easier. for us.  Here's my hand reaching out to you."

[I know of at least one writer friend who is thinking, "Welcome home, Sinner.  You've finally seen the light].