June 24, 2022 Roe v Wade Overturned

Today is a different morning.  It has to be, because I can't live everyday like I did yesterday.  The shock, fear, outrage and anxiety -- it is important and necessary, but if I live in it everyday, I will be exhausted.  I assumed I'd wake feeling hungover from all of it.  Strangely, I feel the tiniest wee smallest bit of hope.  Maybe it's my mind tricking me for self-preservation, but I will take it.  Because this tiny bit of relief may be what I need to go forward and consider next steps.

For the first time in five years, I observed a group prayer.  I can't quite say I participated, but I did the part I could handle which was just be there.  Since leaving the conservative church, I have feared and avoided any church-like setting for many reasons.  Even the most liberal ones scared me.  But yesterday, I listened to a female pastor pray with nearly 1000 people who were outraged and heartbroken over the ruling.  I'm not sure I knew that was possible in a church because...    

in many other prayer groups, people were praying with gratitude and relief because they truly believe their god's will was done in overturning Roe v. Wade.  And here's the thing:  Both groups have good people in it who earnestly are trying to do what is right.  That scares me.  Because how do two such dichotomous perspectives ever come to terms with each other?

I see the younger generation outraged and fighting against this ruling and I am SO THANKFUL FOR YOU.  Fight and work and speak!  I'm so glad for your energy and even your anger.  Do it, kids.  Change it.

For me though, at least for today, I feel like my past is leading me to look at and consider what I read this week: