congregant

When things get weird, I go back to the trees. They have been waiting while I flailed. 
Why do the wisteria-wrapped branches 
look just like a cross?
Oh god, did it actually pull me out here? 
Now I'm nervous, because I'm not ready to talk about saviors and crucifixions, 
"You don't have to," the trees tell me,
"Settle down, settle down."

I sit before the lone oak 
on a strange, straight kitchen chair
I dragged out into the backyard. 
And I stare. 
At her trunk, 
At her height.
Up into the spread of her branches, 
Two nearby scraggly cypress stare with me. 
"We get it; we love her too." 

Every plant nearby is a different age. 
Some dying, some dead, some just born, 
but most are like me. 
Somewhere in the middle 
just waking to another day, 
wondering whether it'll be monotonous, perilous, or miraculous. 
Because we've all lived at least a thousand 
of each by this age. 

The dog barks behind us wondering 
why I am in a new spot instead of the porch. 
She cautiously creeps out to inspect me, 
in case I've lost my mind. 
Then, no lie, the other dog and the cat follow, and we become a congregation. 
I whisper, "You guys, you guys, this is Church. This is Church.!"
But they don't react.
They were born knowing.