kavanaugh

October 7 at 8:47 AM · 

I cannot begin to say anything new or smarter on the Kavanaugh situation. Besides, the things that feel important to me right now, may seem unrelated in some ways. But I feel two things very strongly:

1) Time passing shouldn't be an argument for certain things being remembered accurately or not, but it seems to be. And even though Dr. Ford's case sounded like she was being overpowered and wouldn't have the option of what I'm about to describe, this is a hope I have and pray for:
I hope all humans begin to get so aware of their own bodies and selves, that if anyone touches us in any manner that gives us the slightest gut cringe, I hope we become able to say STOP THAT SHIT. I've almost gotten to where I can say it after the fact, but I still don't in many situations. And in the moment is even harder if you're caught off guard. In more extreme cases, I know some of us have gone years or forever being quiet. But young women, young men, start now. You even get grazed against in a way that makes you uncomfortable, turn around that second and don't worry about politeness. Your body is your one skin and boundary between you and the rest of us. Own it, inhabit it and don't worry if you sound crazy or picky or rude. You may need even more space than it seems others need. That's okay. You get to choose. That goes for me too - when I'm walking around, patting babies' heads, slapping people on the back - if you don't like it, tell me to stop. The decent people want to know how you feel.
*Again, I don't think Dr.Ford had that option; this is just on my mind.

2) Second: The Kavanaugh situation has a lot of pieces and parts, and I know there are friends who honestly believe there wasn't good evidence. I also know though, that there are people who will let their big picture ideals cloud the here and now. I just hope that the people dying for a Pro-Life Court don't overlook the Present Life Humans right in front of them. Maybe I'm wrong, and that hasn't happened here, but humans, you alive today, right in front of us, Dr. Ford, others, male or female, YOU MATTER more to me than any goal or ideal.